This blog was created as a tool to help the IHS Class73, Iloilo High School Alumni Group locate as many members of our graduating class 1973 as possible. This is my way of saying THANK YOU to all of those who work tirelessly in bringing us all back into the fold. Please enjoy the reminiscing, the tour down memory lane, and be updated with the latest news from home and other parts of the world.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

#010-Farewell Charito Peña, Farewell

Yesterday we received yet another sad news. Another member of IHS Class73 had passed away last August 20, 2009 losing her battle with breast cancer.  CHARITO PEÑA was the "songbird" of the group, which later on even earned her the title of "Nora Aunor of Iloilo".  She was my classmate and one of my best friends since we were in Primary and High School. She was such a comedian and "fearless" in many ways, and loved to sing all the time. My first ever experience to be bullied at primary school, she was with me. My first ever Ferris Wheel ride was with her. I cursed her for a long time for that. My very first guitar lessons were from her. My first ever attendance to a private birthday party was with her. My first attendance at a concert (by Walter Navarro) was with her. (She made me climb over the fencing so we can move from Bleacher-seat section down to the Box-seat section.
And I did, for otherwise she'd leave me behind. And I was so scared. I trembled in fear and thought the security guards will arrest us! They didn't. They were busy policing everybody else. For we were many ....) She couldn't convince me to go to another concert after that incident!  She made me laugh ALL THE TIME, laugh at her jokes, laugh at her foolish ideas, laugh at her frivolousness. She was so full of life.

After graduating from high school, I enrolled in Chemical Engineering, she enrolled in Nursing.  We didn't see or hear much from each other after our whole neighborhood was vacated to give way to what is now Robinson's Place Iloilo. She migrated to the US and worked there as a nurse, I migrated to Sydney Australia. The IHS Class73 alumni were searching for us, they found me last Aug 24. Then the search was intensified for Charito. It is very sad for all of us that our search ended with this news. But Charito is not far away really....she's just resting in a much better place now. One day, we'll see her again. Then the laughing and giggling will commence once more! So long dear friend....

(Click on the photo to Zoom In)

Note: the poem THE FORGING was composed by Christine Dabandan Parreno, daughter of Mae Dabandan Parreno.

No comments:

Post a Comment